Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Where did Thanksgiving go?

Thanksgiving is tomorrow. It's hard to remember it's Thanksgiving because commercialism seems to skip the holiday and focus on Black Friday and Christmas. Right after Halloween, Walgreens had all of their Christmas supplies ready for purchase. Then two weeks prior to Black Friday there were Pre-Black Friday deals and sales. Stores are no longer closed on Thanksgiving Day and instead re-open at 6 pm (dinner time) for Thanksgiving specials.

Thanksgiving should be a time to gather with family and friends celebrating the abundance we enjoy on a daily basis. We're fortunate to have supermarkets stocked with fresh food and a rich variety of choices. We tend to take for granted this every day privilege (I know I do!).  There are so many countries where people are starving due to lack of food for political or environmental reasons.

I won't be leaving my Thanksgiving lunch or dinner to get the best deal on Thanksgiving Day. This year I won't wake up early either to get that Black Friday deal. I've gone to the mall in the past to find out the item you wanted is no longer available. I've also waited in long lines with my substitute "great deal" when the original "great deal" was sold out. I've been overwhelmed on Black Friday surfing the web and thinking "oh I missed that deal". In every case, I never felt extreme happiness or complete relaxation. I felt anxiety or stress. So I wonder now, what for?

Life goes on without getting the deal. Life is still sweet without grabbing the last special sales item on the shelf. Life is short and I'd rather step out for a walk enjoying the fresh clean air and company of friends and family.

This Thanksgiving I'm thankful for :
1. my family and friends
2. food and home
3. warm clothes
4. good health

No comments: