This morning, I walked with J to his swim lesson. KL usually accompanies J to swim while I watch the little one. However due to work, KL isn't able to go for the next month. So I get to spend time watching J swim. Throughout the swim lesson, he'd sweetly wave to me. After he walked to the other side of the pool, he waved. When he got into the pool he waved. And when completed his first lap, he peeked his head over the pool to wave to me. His eyes were searching for my attention and verification that I'm watching him swim. I need to remember to savor this moment as well.
As we walked home, we passed this old farmhouse styled home. I always loved these two homes. They are so unique in my neighborhood. While we passed this home, an elderly woman came out using a walker. She was alone. She was old and grey haired. It just stopped raining, but she wore a fabric handkerchief shaped in a triangle to cover her hair from the moist air. As she walked I thought to myself, I'm sure this large single family home once housed her own family. It was once as boisterous as my own home now. Yet, as time passes life slows down. Kids grow up and move away. Today, she took a walk alone. I don't know this woman but she made me think. Eventually my home will also be quieter.
My grandparent's Chinatown apartment was loud and lively on weekends, holidays, and special occasions when everyone returned visit. When I was a kid, I wanted to live in the same apartment building because I thought everyday would be as exciting as when the entire family was around. When I worked in Chinatown, I visited her daily to check in and she'd look forward waiting for my arrival. Otherwise her days were quiet with the blaring TV keeping her company. She had her daily routine and her friends, but she always looked forward to Sunday nights when family returned home making noise once again.
Quiet is good and as a mother of two, seldom happens inside my house since they are young now. However, I must remind myself that youth is fleeting. Noise will disappear. I shouldn't get annoyed with my kids and try to remember to savor the life's moments. So today I savor these two moments: J with his goggled eyes peeking over the pool to wave to me. Reading Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak with little J.
1 comment:
what a lovely post. I agree that time passes us by ever so quickly and subtly. we all need to savor and enjoy every moment!
Post a Comment