Monday, May 03, 2010

Enjoying the Local Rec Center


J has been going to the local Rec Center for 4 months now and I've seen his confidence grow so much in that time. In January, he couldn't ride a tricycle. But by the end of February, he was riding around. There is no pressure from the Recreation Directors. They create a comfortable environment for toddlers to interact with each other. They are also a constant source of positive encouragement which I think helped J motivation & confidence. He still has some issues to work on like: waiting in line and listening. Overall, the experience at the Rec Center has been great. I highly recommend their programs as an introduction to toddler group activities and a way to meet neighborhood moms as well.

Here's an instance of how the warm the directors are at the Rec Center:

J & I were leaving the classroom. One of the directors walks in. He says "Good Morning J". J looks at him and smiles but doesn't say anything. I say "Good Morning W" and apologize for J's non-responsive behavior. Then the director says: " I know J is saying Good Morning just by looking at me". I've been telling this story for a week now and I still think it's really nice. It's a shame that most cities cut the recreation department budget first when there are such great role models there.

2 comments:

JMT said...

Sounds like a great program. Yeah, too bad that all these programs are being cut left and right.

Yvonne said...

We LOVE park and rec programs. Baby C has been doing them forever and Baby B will start over the summer (parent assisted gymnastics!)