My fluorescent light bulb just burned out. I've had it since I started college. That's 11 years! So it verifies the company's claim "will last more than 7 years" is true! The lifespan lasted well beyond the expected lifespan. During those 11 years, I've helped conserve energy and reduce waste from landfills. I feel good......then I wondered whether I could do anything to further the environmental plight. (I feel as though I need to do more nowadays to help out the ailing environment due to Bush's apathy to this issue) Anyhow I looked up "recycling fluorescent bulbs". Sure enough, there is a way to recycle those too. In SF, there are hardware stores that accept bulbs. I found one nearby my weekend workplace so I'll dump my spent fluorescent lightbulb there. If you're interested you can go to http://www.sfenvironment.com/directories/lighting.htm
go down to RESIDENTS and find the nearest hardware store to recycle as well.
Recycling is an easy part of life now. Curbside recycling is convenient. Composting is now a part of the garbage pickup. Clean plastic bags can be dropped off at the supermarket. Now you can even recycle your regular duracell batteries at Walgreens. Maybe I won't see a dramatic difference in my lifetime, that's ok. It's enough just to know you are doing your part in cleaning up the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment