Saturday, January 03, 2015

Paper Sailboats: what you think is small means so much to kids

About three summers ago, my son was able to attend summer camp with his cousins at their school. One day I picked them all up and brought them to my home. My nephews played with my son and daughter until their parents picked them up in the early evening. In my mind, there was nothing spectacular about the play date. The kids ate snacks, talked, watched cartoons, and goofed around. These  are normal activities when you have two 5 year old, a 7 year old, and a baby (at the time) hanging out together.

 At summer camp, the boys would make paper airplanes. They explained how they folded their papers into the aerodynamic "masterpieces" that they proudly carried home with them. My older nephew asked if I know how to fold anything. Besides stars and hearts, the only origami that I remember is a simple sail boat. Boys don't like hearts and stars. They naturally chose to learn how to fold a sailboat that day. My son enjoyed watching but he'd rather get the already assembled sailboat from his older cousin. That afternoon they made a mini armada: big sailboats, medium boats, and teeny tiny ones. Little did I know this short time occupier would stick with them.

A few weeks ago, my older nephew made a paper sailboat for my daughter. His mom mentioned  after I taught them how to fold a sailboat both boys continued to make boats. It was surprising and sweet even after three years, they treasured the small activity we did together that afternoon.

No comments: