Every morning I drop J off at school via their curbside drop-off service. Parent volunteers man the curb, open the car doors for the kids, and close the door after they get out. Just imagine a drive-thru for elementary school kids.
Today the parent who opened my car door is someone I knew from high school and college. I actually
got rides from her back to the city during freshman and sophomore year. So I didn't really think twice about quickly reintroducing myself when she opened the door. I assumed she'd remember me, even after all these years. Hopefully I didn't get too fat or change too much! To my surprise, she didn't remember me. Imagine a live version of a bad commercial except you are the main star! I'll use some pseudonyms just in case this person randomly hops on to my blog (NOT)!
Me: Mina Wu!
MW: Yes.
Me: Jacky!
MW: blank stare
Me: Jacky Lee!
MW: blank stare
Me: Jacky Lee, Westfield College?
MW: Oh hi! How are you? Good to see you! See you again next time. (shuts the door)
It's hard to say whether she remembered me really. I'd like to think she did.
Funny thing is this type of interaction would have irritated me before. Reflecting on the whole interaction would have brought up all of those adolescent insecurities common when you are unsure of yourself. My past young self would have also been hesitant to reintroduce myself EVER again fearing the same type of embarrassment. However, from this experience, I think I've matured and become more confident after working, marriage, and motherhood. Why did I come to this conclusion? I felt positive about the entire experience. Although I was a little embarrassed, I didn't shrink away into the woodwork. I happily drove away like it's not a big deal. So this happiness means two things. 1. I don't care about what other people think about me. I have embarrassing moments and live through them. 2. I have grown up. My insecurities are no longer there because they're irrelevant.
Thank you "Mina Wu" for a great morning awakening. You may not know who I am, but I thank you for that! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment