Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ms. Handywoman!


Yesterday, our kitchen faucet went haywire. It has always leaked a little bit but we've been able to adjust it just right so that it was "OK". However yesterday we couldn't shut off the water at all. So instead we manually turned off the valve below the sink whenever we finished using the water. Yes this is a little troublesome, but so is fixing the sink!

Finally I got my act together and decided become a plumber for the day. I've done plumbing before Baby J and before getting married when my kitchen sink pipes literally fell apart! I was washing dishes in the bathtub for a few days. I didn't want dejavu of that sad episode so I figured I better fix this faucet before the problem becomes bigger. Anyhow I checked out a do-it yourself picture fix-it book from the library and went to work. In midst of fixing, the book left out some tools and parts which I didn't understand. So I went to Youtube and watched a professional plumber take apart a Delta Faucet.

I then went to Ace Hardware and got the faucet repair kit with a new ball for the faucet. The Ace Salesperson was nice, but as usual always assumed the worst from a woman with a stroller. After returning home, I got the faucet working within 15 minutes. Maybe I have a new side job as a Handywoman if I get a pink slip. I actually enjoy taking these things apart and putting them back together. It's especially fun when in the end, everything works again!!