Saturday, May 01, 2004

It's finally May. The sun is shining and San Francisco is warm (albeit windy). I guess I shouldn't complain, but it seems like all native San Franciscans and long time residents complain when the weather gets a bit too hot or a bit too cold. Even the local media gets involved with the weather by emphasizing a 90 degree "heatwave". That would be considered cool during a Davis summer which normally runs about 105 by midday.

So let's see....highlights of April. I went to Boston and watched my friend in the Boston Marathon. It's a citywide holiday there! It's actually cool to see the entire community supporting the runners. I doubt I'd ever be able to run 26.2 miles let alone walk it, but I admire anyone who can do it. The ranked runners are downright amazing. 26.2 miles in 2 hours and 10 min......People sit through a movie and don't accomplish as much as they do. I've walked 20K and ran a 5K, but nothing can compare to that. My friend did pretty well. 3hrs 55 min. There were only 20000 qualified runners so it's quite an accomplishment to be within those 20000 individuals. So I spent 3 days total in Boston. Didn't do much sightseeing, but spent some time with old friends. Went to the North End (which is like North Beach in SF). Had a taste of Boston style road rage. Ate some wonderful crepes that made me change my opinions about savory crepes vs. dessert crepes. Saw a dance performance. Most of all, beautiful weather in Boston. Compared to 4 years ago when it was rainy and cold, the weather was gorgeous. Almost as nice as SF.

Lately I've been thinking about fate. At work, one of the people I see everyday worked at a hotel in Macau before. He immigrated to the US in 1999, but was working in this hotel since 1995. I mentioned that in 1998 I visited the same hotel in Macau before and walked around. However, even if we saw each other, we didn't know one another. So it got me thinking about fate. It's interesting how you can be in the same place at the same time and not have contact. You may have a few seconds in passing; walking in opposite directions or eating at the same restaurant. Basically you could potentially be standing next to your future friend, future co-worker, future boss, future in-law, and never have a clue. In high school, my friend taught me a Chinese saying有緣無分。So essentially at that point in time you have 緣,but you don't have 分。 You only achieve the combination when the time is right. Fate determines a lot about your future.

No comments: