I heard a story over the weekend that made me think about successful marriages. I always assumed that after you have been married for 40 to 50 years, you will treasure your spouse and enjoy the remaining years you have together. In this story, the couple is in their 70s. They have children and grandchildren. They live together, yet they lead entirely separate lives. No vacations together. No dinners together. It's a little frightening to think that a person who you're supposed to love for the rest of your life could turn into someone you despise to spend time with. I doubt this couple will get a divorce due to their age, but it made me wonder whether there is a foolproof way to determine true love. Does true love change over time? Does it fade with time?
In "Sleepless in Seattle", there was this comment that when 2 people touch they should have a cosmic connection between them. Something magical should happen when you're with that person. Being the romantic that I am, I believe in this innate instinct. You are both happier when you're together. However, does this feeling dissipate over time? You see the person day in and day out. Good and bad days. 40 years go by....what happens then? I guess you really can't predict what will happen. A successful marriage probably has more to do with complementary personalities than the initial magical feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment