Monday, November 19, 2012

Job Hiatus



In these economic times, layoffs or the possibility of unemployment seem quite common. Mergers happen. Downsizing is normal. Budgets are tight. The latter two reasons are why I may be added to the many unemployed persons out there now.

Despite the passage of two educational propositions this November election, the money isn't enough to keep the boat afloat. If the measures failed, the entire part time staff would be let go. However, even if the measures passed, there would be inevitable lay offs. I happen to be 4 years shy of being in that "safe" zone. While looking at the spring semester class offerings, I realized it would be highly unlikely I would get rehired in January. The classes are minimal and most would be taught by full time staff. If I were to be offered a class, it wouldn't be at an ideal time and I would have to take it to maintain my seniority at the school.

I feel quite fortunate to have this job for as long as I've been out of school. It has given me opportunities to help the immigrant communities of San Francisco.  It has also given me the flexibility to take care of my children for the majority of the day and still feel like I have a career (most of the time). All of the school breaks were awesome too!

It's unfortunate to have a nagging uncertainty about what the future holds for me. I haven't quite closed the book on this career. During this forced hiatus, I may need to reinvent my job.

2 comments:

JMT said...

TJ, sorry to hear that your job feels so uncertain at this time. Have you considered private English tutoring for international students in the Bay Area? haven't done much research on the prospects but maybe the Kaplan Centers or the equivalents are looking for teachers like you!! good luck and stay positive.

JMT said...

TJ, sorry to hear that your job feels so uncertain at this time. Have you considered private English tutoring for international students in the Bay Area? haven't done much research on the prospects but maybe the Kaplan Centers or the equivalents are looking for teachers like you!! good luck and stay positive.