Sunday, June 27, 2004

When I'm in SF, I tend to forget how hot HK summers are. I complain about the SF's wind and fog while I'm there. Yet now that I'm sweating persistently everyday and enduring the sticky heat here, I appreciate SF's natural air conditioning more. I guess that's why whenever I return I happily roll down my window and feel the cool clean breeze in the car.

HK weather reports alway include a UV index. Yesterday it was 13. Pretty high considering the lowest is 1 and the highest is 12. What does it mean? Put on sunscreen. People here are pretty consciencious about skin care. I've seen sunscreen with SPF 50 through SPF 120. I've seen SPF 50 in the US, but not SPF 120. I'm not sure if it's just a marketing ploy.

Homecooking is something that I really like. It's predictable, simple and usually safe. Although I've eaten at many places in HK, I've also eaten homecooking. Yet somehow homecooking is more comfortable at your own home. My mom and grandma usually cook in SF. I cook when I need to. But usually I just rely on them. They are good cooks. But I appreciate their cooking more when I've been away for a while. For instance, yesterday I ate a chinese sausage. The way it was cooked here didn't match the way I'm used to eating it, so it didn't have the same feeling as when I'm at home. There are other things too, like soup. Home cooked soup is different from house to house. I guess I should really write down recipes of different dishes when I return home. I wouldn't want to lose the home cooking flavors found in my home.

No comments: